Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spectacular Squash Stew


Winter has been back and forth a few times these recent Minnesota days. And with the quixotic temperatures our appetites here at Potluck Paradise headquarters have slipped into wanting something both hearty and light.

I stood there in the grocery store looking at the wide array of fish, fowl, and meats. None of them "fell into the cart" with menu in hand.  Suddenly I remembered a years-ago recipe for squash stew. I hadn't made it in years.  I did a quick U-turn and headed back to the vegetable section. Amazingly, I remembered most of the ingredients. What I didn't recall in time to purchase, I discovered I already had in my pantry once I pulled the yellowed file card from the recipe box. Okay, I did make a substitution. I only had one can of white beans, so I put in a can of black-eyed peas left over from our New Year's Lucky Food dinner.

The stew turned out so well, I know it won't be years before I make it again.

I made a couple of loaves World War I wheat-stingy bread it has cornmeal and oatmeal in addition to some wheat flour. A slice or two nicely sopped up the stew's delicious juices. A couple of pickles on the side.  Yum!

As the days have continued to alternate between snow and cold with wonderful, warm snow-melting sun, we've gotten into a vegetarian kick here at headquarters. Once we no longer have to climb over snowdrifts to get to the grill we'll probably cook up some burgers or chops. But for now, this lighter vegetarian fare is just right.


Sensational Squash Stew

1 large butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes, about 4 cups
2 cups unsalted vegetable or broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic, more or less to taste
2 green peppers, cut in 1-inch pieces
2 ribs celery cut in 1-inch slices
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 cans chopped tomatoes
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon allspice

Combine the squash and broth in large saucepan and simmer over low heat until the squash is slightly cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes. Put the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sauté until it is just beginning to turn transparent. Add the garlic and green paper. Saute a few minutes longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, cover and reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes. In a large slow cooker or stockpot combine the squash and broth, the contents of the frying pan and the remaining ingredients. Cook over very low heat until the flavors are combines, about a half hour on top of the stove, or longer in the slow cooker. Serve with brown rice or crusty bread and a salad. 

Copyright 2013 Rae Katherine Eighmey. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment